Vintage Wedding Invitations
As we continue our search the perfect vintage wedding accessories we will now look at vintage wedding invitations. We will try to cover what makes a vintage wedding invitation, where to shop for them, and the popular styles classical wedding invitations on the market today.
When planning your vintage wedding you should try to create a balance between buying new and used items. When it comes shopping for true vintage wedding stationary you are probably not going to have a lot of success. Just imagine planning a wedding for 500 guests and trying to find true vintage wedding invites. You would probably have to search every printer press in the world to find that many matching set invitations.
For most of us planning a classical wedding we are going to have to buy vintage styled wedding invitations. Luckily for us a lot of modern wedding invitation designers have caught on to the vintage theme and have a wide selection of traditional wedding invitations.
What Makes a Wedding Invitation Vintage?
Plain and simple, vintage is style of design that was cutting edge at one period of time and the beauty still holds true today. When it comes to vintage wedding invites they are designed after traditional invitations of the past but with a bit of a modern twist.
Popular Design Features Used In Classic Wedding Invites
Lace – Probably one of the most iconic images in the field of wedding invitations. Look for designers to use both paper and material lace to highlight their invitations.
Classical Fonts and Penmanship – The swirled scrip of the font and penmanship are very distinct signs that you are looking at a traditional wedding invitations.
Natural Themes and Materials – For the natural themes look for floral designs, nature scenes, or trees to be present on the invitations. As for the materials used to highlight a vintage invitation look burlap as it is very popular right now for both home décor and wedding accessory themes.
Black And White Photographs – There is no hiding the vintage flair in a black and white photograph.
Floral Designs – Flowers are beautifully colored, delicate, and calming. It is no wonder why they have been a focal point of wedding invitations for a very long time.
Being that weddings are a sacred ceremony based upon tradition it is no surprise that vintage weddings are and always will be a popular genre in the wedding industry.
Shopping For Vintage Wedding Invitations Online
As we have stated before and we will say it again. When you are shopping for your wedding start your search online. Shopping online gives you a no pressure approach to finding everything you need. You don’t have to buy for your wedding online it is just a good idea to see what types of vintage wedding products they have and how much they should cost.
We also encourage young couples to step out into their own communities and do some of the browsing and wedding shopping locally. Part of the experience of getting married for a young bride is getting together with her friends and family for a day on the town trying on wedding gowns. We highly suggest you don’t miss out on that process.
Shopping for Vintage Invitations Locally
A trip to your local printer, department store, or craft store is a great place to start your search for your vintage wedding invitations locally. Although we recommend starting your search online, shopping for wedding clothing, decorations, and favors locally is an experience you shouldn’t miss out on. Let’s have a better look at some of the local spots where you can find your wedding invitations.
Shopping For Invitations at Local Print Shops
More than likely your local printer press is going to have a large book of sample invitations to choose from. The good thing about deciding to go through the printing press is you can physically hold the sample invitations in your hand and actually feel the quality. Another benefit of buying from a local print shop is the print is going to be perfect. Meaning that you are not going to have to buy additional invitations in case of poor penmanship or errors.
Now for the bad about buying your traditional wedding invitations, save the dates, and R.S.V.P.s from a printer press. The main issue is the cost. In most cases you will find that local print shops charge a lot for their invitations. So if your wedding budget isn’t an issue your local print shop might be the place for you.
Shopping In Department Stores for Wedding Invitations
Department stores are probably the best option for young couples on a tight budget and looking for classical wedding invitations. Although your options will be very limited you will have a vast selection of of traditional white wedding invitations to choose from. Your standard white wedding is still one of the most popular today which is the reason most large department stores carry them.
Department stores are not the best places to go if you are looking for variety. A lot of young couples find that the selection is very limited. Another negative about buying wedding invitations from a department store as you and your husband to be will have to fill out each of the invitations. But if you have more time than money and you are Ok with standard white wedding invites this would be the best option for you to stay on your wedding budget.
Finding Vintage Wedding Invites at Your Local Craft Shop
Another great option for local wedding shoppers is to visit the local craft shop. They have a wide variety of vintage wedding invitation templates that you are your husband to be can customize however you want. The price is usually comparable to what you will find in a department store but you have a wider variety of options. The good thing about shopping at a craft store is you are only limited to your own creativity. All you weekend do it yourselfers may want to design your vintage invites right from the paper selection all the way up to the font, materials, and style.
Popular Themes of Vintage Wedding Invitations
Within the genre of vintage weddings you are going to find a wide variety of sub themes. Each of these themes of wedding have their own design style and features. All of them technically still fall within the vintage wedding invitations market but they are all slightly different.
Let’s have a look at some of these sub themes!
Classic Wedding Invitation Themes
- Rustic Vintage Wedding Invitations – A great wedding theme for those of you planning a vintage farm our country wedding. Rustic wedding invitations can feature the images from the natural environment like trees, rivers, and valleys. Also in the sub theme of wedding look for farm images to be featured like horse, fields, and barns.
- Burlap Vintage Wedding Invitations – Burlap is rough natural material that can be added to your vintage wedding invites. Burlap is a great way to add texture and another dimension to your wedding invitations.
- Vintage Floral Wedding Invitations – Images of flowers can really bring a standard white wedding invitation to life. Classically painted flowers will really add that vintage feel to your vintage themed wedding invitations.
- Vintage Destination Wedding Invitations – Having a destination wedding doesn’t mean that you still can’t have a vintage wedding. Although this niche in the wedding industry is a lot smaller you will still find some quality destination wedding invitations both online and locally.
- Vintage Monogram Wedding Invitations – A vintage monogram wedding invitation is the best way to signify the joining of two people. Either you can use the husband’s last initial or you can use the letters of each of your last names.
- Damask Vintage Wedding Invitations – Trendy damask patterns add a vintage charm to anything they are applied to. Vintage damask patterns follows the flows and shapes similar to flowers and will give your invitations a distinct vintage feel.
- Vintage Postcard Wedding Invitations – Postcard wedding invitations are a great way to make your announcement to friends and family. Postcard wedding invitations eliminate the need for an envelope and can also be combined with your RSVP.
Save the Dates and R.S.V.P Cards to Complete Your Set
After you have finished finding your perfect vintage wedding invitations either online or at a local boutique you should try to match your invitations to your saves the dates and RSVP cards. Having a matching set is important to most couples but not a necessity.
If you want to mix and match your invitations, save the dates, and R.S.V.Ps by all means do so. It’s your wedding and it should be done how you want it.